Sunday, April 8, 2012

Hole-in-the-wall

I'm such a foodie and I dream that the main avenue in our village transform into Aguirre St. in BF, haha! Whenever I see a new eating place, I always want to try it and assess if it will last long. You see, putting up a sustainable restaurant (aside from fast food joints, porkchop/tapsilog places and barbeque grills) or coffee shop in the village seems like a dilemma. Fancy restaurants close in a few months and I haven't figured out if it's because of the price, the target market or whatnot. It seems like good businesses here are just the salons, bars, and convenient stores and groceries (weirdly, we have 4 big ones here: Shopwise, Puregold, Robinsons and Reysal)! If you ask me about hang-out places to drink then I can probably name them coz I've probably tried them already.

Unlike me who technically lives away from home for 8 years already, my brother has more chances of exploring food places here. He tells us of places serving tapang kabayo (horse) or tapang usa (deer), Soup No. 5, football, etc. Recently, he was inviting us to try a Japanese restaurant beside what we fondly call SEX- Sinangag Express. After months of bragging to us about this hole-in-the-wall resto, mom and I decided to try it. From Easter Sunday mass, we headed to Katsudon Japanese Food Hauz. On our way there, my brother was orienting us (like he owns the place), enumerating what's on the menu and telling us not to set the bar too high.


As we park, the Japanese owner greeted my brother (he really might be a co-owner,haha). The place is really hole-in-the-wall, with curtains covering the door, with no promotional banner whatsoever, we entered this very small place which instantly gave me a Japanese feel. The Filipina wife of the owner greeted my brother, "Sir Andre", haha!






no shrimps available so my brother and I had Katsudon Curry Rice

Okonomiyaki

Gyoza

mom's Katsudon

Yes yes yes! Food is great and price is very reasonable around Php 85-130 per meal.
We commended the owners for the great food and they were very thankful to my brother for us bring us there esp that we promise to be back again. :) I should probably suggest that they should market the resto more because it is very promising. 

I hope to find more hole-in-the-wall eating places in the village now that I'm on my summer vacation and I hope to discover it with... :) Recently, I saw a coffee shop and a bubble tea place along the main road of Rosario so I'm probably checking them out soon, and if they're good, I'll blog on them. :) Talk about promoting your village, haha!